Saturday, November 1, 2008

Down to the wire


As Election Day is just days away, I was reading a Newsweek poll focusing on Obama's significant lead over John McCain. I was relieved to see these numbers initially; but upon closer look, I became a bit stressed out. The most troublesome statistic I read has to do with Sarah Palin (shocking I know). 55% of voters believe Palin is not qualified (rightfully so), yet 40% believe she is! My jaw dropped as I read this! I would love to meet this group of people and hear their arguments defending Palin's overwhelming qualifications. I cannot imagine that 2 out of every 5 people think that this woman (who didn't hold a passport until just last year) could possibly represent the United States and actually be respected internationally.

After this alarming statistic, I began to think about a number of worriesome things as the Big Day draws near. The Bradely effect has been discussed in virtually every news source, questioning whether or not it will prevent Obama from grabbing the 270 critical votes. I'd like to think no, but realistically, we still live in a racist society. No one wants to admit it, but there are many closeted bigotts out there- we just don't know how many! Hopefully the astounding wave of Obama supporters can outweigh the ignorant citizens in the country.

Another thing that we will just have to wait and see how it plays is who's actually going to vote. The media has hyped up the amount of voters that will show up to the polls, especially minorities and youth. These voters have historically not been active, but is Obama the change that will stimulate a new interest in politics? Well I, as well as many, certainly hope so. I can only hope that the laziness of Americans subsides long enough for them to cast their ballot.

And I must go back to the Palin issue once more (it's just too good to not). What the hell was McCain thinking? Nearly 1/3 of voters say that McCain's VP choice makes them less likely to vote for him! That is a huge number in an election this close. If McCain can't even pick a qualified vice-president, how the hell is he going to run this country? Oh wait...he probably won't because he's so old, he'd probably die before inauguration day!

So Americans, one word of advice as you stand eye-to-eye with a ballot that represents so much:
ANYTHING but McCain.

VOTE November 4th!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, like many others, I never understood Palin's appeal, much less other's interest in watching her speak.

But then again, I wonder if I've underestimated the impact her...ahem, "physique" has added to the campaign. No one can deny she's a spectacle. Kind of like driving for two hours to watch a dolphin jump through hoops at Sea World.